First United Methodist Church of Eustis

Our Roots

     Eustis was settled in 1875. The early settlers were pioneers from the Carolinas and Georgia.  The name “Eustis” was derived from General Abraham Eustis, who fought in the Seminole War of the late 1830’s and early 1840’s.  
     On November 1, 1882, the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Eustis was organized under the direction of Reverend Clark Polly.  The original church building was located at Citrus and Prescott Streets, presently the site of Eustis Elementary School.  A dedication service was held in the new building in 1884, and by 1885, seventy-one members attended services, Sunday school and social meetings. 
     
Over the next 125+ years the church moved from its location on Citrus and Prescott, to the corner of Hawley Street and Citrus Street, (the building still stands there today) to our current campus today at 600 South Grove Street.  A deep commitment to global and local missions has been a significant part of our congregation’s history.

 


logo flumc.png

The Florida Conference of the United Methodist Church 

For more information about the Florida United Methodist Church Conference
please click here.


open_hearts_logo.jpg

The History of the United Methodist Church

For more information about the denomination of the United Methodist Church - our History, our Beliefs, and the Basis of our Faith
please click here.